RE: [xsl] Date

Subject: RE: [xsl] Date
From: "Yates, Danny (ANTS)" <danny.yates@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:20:20 -0000
You could use some heuristics. For example, you could do the following:

* Check if the length of the text is 8 characters (mmddyyyy)
* Use translate() or similar to remove all digits and ensure you have
  nothing left (which checks that your 8 characters were all digits)
* Use substring to split out the year, month and day and then check:
  * The year is in some sensible range (1900 - 2010, for example).
  * The month is in the range 1 to 12.
  * The day is in the range 1 to 31.

However it would be better if you could do any or all of the following:

* Adjust the incoming XML so that you know what fields are dates,
  perhaps by marking them with an attribute
* Use XSD data types to mark date fields (not that XSL supports XSD
  datatypes, but XSD provides a perfectly good XML dialect for notating
  datatypes, so you might as well use it!)
* Learn from the providers of the incoming XML which fields are dates
  (anything with the word 'Date' in it, for example)
* Change the date format to be more friendly, such as yyyy-mm-dd. Note
  that using year then month then date corresponds to better to the
  ISO date formats and means that if you ever need to sort your data
  then you can do so with a simple string sort.

Hope that helps,

Dan.

--
Danny Yates