[xsl] :o) (Re: qualitative decline of xsl-list questions)

Subject: [xsl] :o) (Re: qualitative decline of xsl-list questions)
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:18:36 -0800 (PST)
As seen in microsoft.public.xml ... :o)

From:       RD
Date:       Friday, 6 December 2002 6:44 PM
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.xml
Subject:    Fed up with MSXML

This hole XML DOM s**t is overly complex.
It has tens and tens of methods and properties. and what
are all these interfaces and objects for?
this sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks
sucks sucks sucks.

And yes, I know what i'm talking about. I have spent the
last month developping an application using VBScript and
MSXML. And I now believe VBScript + MSXML is the most
s**tty compination you can get.

I ended up working directly on the text stream by using
regular expressions (wich happen to lack some features in
VBScript, like lookbehinds) instead of parsing it.

Here are some example

<one>
  hello
    <two>
      blahblah
    </two>
  world
</one>

i could not manage to extract "hello world". I kept
getting "hello blahblah world" (using oXmlNode.text).

<text> the quick red (1) fox jumped</text>
I want to replace (1) by <ref id="1">. Haven't found a
reasonably simple way to perform this with the DOM, and
used regular expressions on the text file instead.

And all this XPath babble about axes and functions and ...
is this the Microsoft documentation or is this thing as
complex as it seams?

This is pure masoshism in my opinion. XML should be
simple. Next time I write my own parser.