Re: [xsl] Max size?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Max size?
From: Peter Finch <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:38:56 +1100
Hi Heinz,

> I have a "hypothetical" question.  If I were to generate very large XML
> files (upwards of 1 Meg?), would I encounter problems when processing with
> XSLT, considering that I would want to sort on various elements.
>
> We are busy doing some tests and I would be interested to compare our
> results to existing findings. (We are using xalan/xercses on Linux).

It Depends on your machine, parser and the style sheet, but a 1 Meg
XML file should not be a problem. Some of my customers work with BIG
files... 10's to 100's of Meg and more (believe it or not).

I recently did some work on a 157Meg document. Of all the parsers
I tried I have to admit the one from Microsoft (msxsl) flew
and used up a relatively small amount of memory so I can
recommend it as a place to start looking (Hats off to the
guys-n-girls at MS for that one at least).

On a Dual AMD1400 with 512meg RAM a 13 Meg XML 5 Seconds and a
157 Meg XML file took about 4 minutes with memory usage peeking
around 380Meg. It's all about memory as (I think) most of the
parsers build a tree in memory before they starting to processes
the transformations.

I'm pretty sure most of the Java based pasers will have no
trouble with a 1Meg(ish) document.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter