Re: [xsl] [XPath] matching elements which satisfy a specific content model

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XPath] matching elements which satisfy a specific content model
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 04:58:25 -0800 (PST)
> > The match pattern is:
> >
> > variablelist[*[position() = 1 and (self::title or
> > self::varlistentry)]
> >
> >              and not(*[position() > 1 and not(self::varlistentry)])
> >             ]
>

> Thanks.
>
> The length and complexity of that XPath reinforces my request for
> some verx simple syntax/function, so that the length and the level of

> simplicity of the content model is matched by the matching pattern:

The above is a *relatively simple* and quite self-explaining XPath
expression. If you need an example of a really *complex* one, do have a
look at:

http://www.topxml.com/code/default.asp?p=3&id=v20021204102543

> eg
> variablelist[content-model(../, 'title?,varlistentry+')]
>
> In other words:
> (title?,varlistentry+) is so *very* simple, that I think there should

> be way to write it in a very simple way.

This only *looks* simple, because from the seven types of nodes you're
using only the element type. Add to this the potential of having some
additional predicates attached...

Another problem is that this will result in mixing two considerably
different approaches for specifying node-sets of a tree.

In XPath/XSLT 2.0 this is unnecessary, because one has access to the
PSVI type annotations -- am I correct, ver. 2 gurus?

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.