[xsl] Strings Comparison Question.

Subject: [xsl] Strings Comparison Question.
From: "Patel, Viral" <viral.patel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:13:29 -0600
Sorry if you get duplicates but I got some email transmission error so I am
gonna post this problem one more time and see if someone can help me.

I am new to XSL and I have several questions - some of them might be really
easy ones but I just want to confirm.

1. Is it possible to compare two strings lexicographically in XSL/XPATH? I
believe the answer is no. Is there a way I can achieve this?

2. I have listed the XML & XSL below.   In that the community name attribute
could start with a alphabet, a number or any other character.   Most of the
community names are expected to start with alphabets.  In my output, if I
have one or more community name starting with a certain alphabet (i.e. 'A')
then I want to put a link (aka advance orgranizer) at the top of the page
that would say 'A' and likewise for all the alphabets.  Also since I have
few communities starting with non-alphabets, I would want to put a link
called Miscellaneous that would link to a page which would display all
non-alphabetic characters.

How would I go about doing this?  And the those non-alphabetic characters
are not fixed, they could vary depending on the XML file used.  If there was
string comparison allowed then I could do something like @name<'a' or
@name>'z'  for each node and that would give me all non-alphabetic
characters.

Any ideas/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<record>
	<community name="101 South">
		... Some Information ...
	</community>
	<community name="**">
		... Some Information ...
	</community>
	<community name="Adams">
		... Some Information ...
	</community>
	<community name="Smith">
		... Some Information ...
	</community>
	... .... ....
</record>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="1.1" xmlns:lxslt="http://xml.apache.org/xslt";>

      <xsl:template match="/">
	<xsl:apply-templates match="//community"/>
      </xsl:template>

	<xsl:template name="community">
		<xsl:if test="starts-with(@name,'*')">
			<xsl:call-template