Re: [xsl] speed optimization

Subject: Re: [xsl] speed optimization
From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:21:17 +0100
Daniel Veillard wrote:

  the problem is that those bottlenecks are likely to be implementation
dependant,

That's OK; I need to optimize them in general, but also for the specific XSLT processor I use. I don't distribute these XSLTs for use with all processors; instead I simple run them with one processor, here (two versions of Saxon actually).

so generic profiling is unlikely to give good results (well
unless getting a model of the processor and running some serious
computations).

Any improvement is better than none. And I suspect that in fact there are many types of bottlenecks which slow down all processors, such as match="//foo", or stuff like
<t:param name="bar" select="document(doc.xml)/bar"/>
<t:param name="baz" select="document(doc.xml)/bar/baz"/>
instead of
<t:param name="doc" select="document(doc.xml)"/>
<t:param name="bar" select="$doc/bar"/>
<t:param name="baz" select="$bar/baz"/>

I'd like to be told stuff like
  "Saxon spent 70% of his time in line 5 columns 7-20 of foo.xslt."

  xsltproc has a --profile [*] option where it dumps statistics about time
spent.

Sounds great!

Now I just have to wait until xsltproc supports XSLT2 ;)

The granularity is the template, not line blocks though.

I think I'd need more details than that.

[*] --norman is an alias for this option, guess why :-)

Norman Walsh coded or designed it?

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/