XSL frustration (was: Re: [xsl] N : M transformation)

Subject: XSL frustration (was: Re: [xsl] N : M transformation)
From: Bernd Gauweiler <bernd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:10:36 -0800
J.Pietschmann wrote:

Bernd Gauweiler wrote:

I have N streams of "input" XML (N > 1), to be transformed into M streams of "output" XML (M > 1, M != N).[...]

There are several options. Output 1. Extensions [..]

2. Use XSLT 2.0 (experimental)
[...]

3. Text tools
[...]

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I am not sure if I agree to those options (the ones related to the output) being acceptable. I have successfully completed one XSLT project. That was great, and good. Several other plans that came up since, all ideal for XSLT on the first glance, and all ended up being fixed elsewise because, using XSLT, I had to wait for a future version, or to write my own extensions, or to engage other tools to fill in where XSL couldn't do the trick. It is much better advise to use existing technologies and standards, such as XML DOM and existing languages other than XSL, to do the job.

<war type="flame">
   It seems to me XSLT just "isn't there" yet, is it?
</war>

Oh-oh. Bernd