Re: XSL frustration (was: Re: [xsl] N : M transformation)

Subject: Re: XSL frustration (was: Re: [xsl] N : M transformation)
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:34:42 +0100
Bernd Gauweiler wrote:
It seems to me XSLT just "isn't there" yet, is it?

It depends. XSLT works very well for purposes it was (finally) designed: tree-to-tree transformations. It was not the goal to retire every other tool under the sun. A professional ought to have a toolbox, and the experience to choose the proper tool for the job at hand. Of course, the definition of "proper" may vary. If you regularly run into restrictions, and can't take advantage of the stengths of XSLT to offset this, then you'll have to use something else. If you still think there is so much transformation involved in your tasks that XSLT ought to be "nearly there" but still doesn't quite match, you probably have some problems on the architectural level. You wouldn't believe how often I've seen this.

J.Pietschmann