[xsl] [design question]

Subject: [xsl] [design question]
From: "TP" <tpass001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:35:50 -0600
I have a servlet based application where the servlet recieves xml from
another application and then uses xalan to transform that xml to html using
xsl on the server side.

Now all that goes through to the browser is html so every transaction using
the mvc pattern has a stylesheet associated with it. The problem is that now
my stylesheets are too huge. One of them for example has 1653 lines, which
is difficult to maintain, even though templated and also I am not sure what
it does for the loading time of each stylesheet before transformation. Right
now I dont see any problem but i was wondering whether I could improve this
design.

Could I use import/include to put all the javascript in a separate .js file
and include it when the stylesheet loads. Would this slow down or fasten the
process.

Could I do the same for templates in the stylesheets, for example, each
stylesheet has a status bar, I could put that in a status.xsl and
include/import on it later.

Notice that I use import/include because I dont know what the difference is.
Can someone please tell me which is faster.

Thanks in advance.

TP.