RE: [xsl] Weird problem. Xalan Stops processing when it comes to middle of XML??

Subject: RE: [xsl] Weird problem. Xalan Stops processing when it comes to middle of XML??
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:03:25 -0500
[Ted Stresen-Reuter]

> I was reading a book on using PHP with XML and the author notes that
> PHP's "internal" XML processor (SAX) processes documents node by node
> (rather than reading the whole document into memory first).
> You may be
> able to find an XSLT processor that works the same way
> (although I kind
> of doubt it)

There was at least one that tried to process the document as a stream
(xmlGrep, evolved into Napa).  It went away and its successor went into
a commercial product (XML Origin), although I do not know if it is still
quasi-streaming.  Of course, it may not be possible to avoid storing the
entire document, depending on how the stylesheet works.

Here is a paper on streaming XPATH evaluation:

Streaming XPath Processing with Forward and Backward Axes
Charles Barton et. Al.

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~deepak/publications/icde.pdf

Cheers,

Tom P