Re: [xsl] XMLPipe model: should we change the name?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XMLPipe model: should we change the name?
From: Michael Pediaditakis <mp49@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:51:53 +0000
Michael Kay wrote:

One thing that we noticed when implementing stylesheet chaining/pipelining/ whatever in 4Suite (see, I can advertise, too) is the problem of what to do with external stylesheet parameters. Say you want to pass the output of stylesheet 1 to stylesheet 2, and stylesheet 2 needs some top-level parameters passed in. For now we just don't do anything; only the first stylesheet in the chain gets that privilege. So I'm curious... what does your system do in this regard? Or if you prefer not to divulge, what do people think a system
*should* do?

I've always advised people to add the information to the document that's
being passed down the pipeline, so stylesheets after the first get all
the information from their source document. This works, except in the
case where stylesheets in the pipeline expect parameters and can't be
changed.

However that becomes a problem when the individual stylesheets in the pipeline are independently
developed (e.g. just use a ready made stylesheet that does not expect this type of "enhanced" content).
Except of course if we adopt a common XML representation for transformation meta-information!

Mike. (realises that this reply didn't suggest any solution... I'm working on it.. please wait
until the XMLPipe -or whatever it will be called - is be finished :)

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx