Re: [xsl] Re: Creating a XSL to return the input

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Creating a XSL to return the input
From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:39:00 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:

> "John Chen" <jchen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > I would like to create an XSL that takes an XML file and returns it as its
> > output. Is that easy to do?
>
> Yes, use:
>
> <xsl:copy-of select="/"/>
>
> A lot more useful (because it can be overridden) is the following template,
> known as the "identity transformation":
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#copying
>
> <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
>   <xsl:copy>
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()"/>
>   </xsl:copy>
> </xsl:template>

don't forget that it was something just like this that provoked
my original posting about what match=node() really meant, and i'm
still wading through the responses, trying to summarize them.

in a nutshell, if you use that transform, xsltproc and saxon
behave differently:

  saxon will copy over comments and processing instructions,
  xsltproc will not

so, remind me again -- which one is behaving correctly?

rday