Fwd: [xsl] Aberrant Alphabetizing.

Subject: Fwd: [xsl] Aberrant Alphabetizing.
From: Wendy McFarland <wmcfarla@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:00:10 +0100
What I think you should be doing is sorting the <book> child nodes of whatever
parent they have by title, something like:

<xsl:template match="insert-parent-of-book-here">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="book">
    <xsl:sort select="title"/>
  </xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>

Think of it as building a list of nodes to process using <xsl:apply-templates
select="..."/>, and then sorting them using <xsl:sort/>

Actually, the XSL I'm using is this:

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:for-each select="/publisher/book[fld080[contains(fld080', 'Print-On-Demand')]]">
<xsl:sort select="title"/>
<xsl:call-template name="catalog_listing"/>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

I simplified it a little to make it a less distracting post. Sorry. I hope I haven't wasted anyone's time.

The XSL really does seem to work fine. From a file of 2270 books, it comes up with 632 that match my for-each.

And the sorting really does look un-flawed for the majority of the 632. Making it easy to overlook the oddballs among them.

Here's a little more of the problem with the "Effect*" titles, in-context, in case that reveals anything useful that I'm not seeing...

Educating Mathematical Scientists: Doctoral Study and the Postdoctoral Experience in the United States

Education and Delinquency: Summary of a Workshop

Education and Learning to Think

Education for Tomorrow's Jobs

Effective Manning of the U.S. Merchant Fleet

Effectiveness and Outcomes in Health Care: Proceedings of an Invitational Conference

Effectiveness of the United States Advanced Battery Consortium as a Government-Industry Partnership

Effective Services for Young Children: Report of a Workshop

Effect of Environment on Nutrient Requirements of Domestic Animals

The Effect of Genetic Variance on Nutritional Requirements of Animals: Proceedings of a Symposium

Effects of Health Programs on Child Mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa

The Effects on Human Health of Subtherapeutic Use of Antimicrobials in Animal Feeds

The Effects on the Atmosphere of a Major Nuclear Exchange

Eighteenth Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics