Re: : [xsl] Aberrant Alphabetizing.

Subject: Re: : [xsl] Aberrant Alphabetizing.
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:56:17 +0000
Hi Wendy,

> And the sorting really does look un-flawed for the majority of the
> 632. Making it easy to overlook the oddballs among them.
>
> Here's a little more of the problem with the "Effect*" titles,
> in-context, in case that reveals anything useful that I'm not
> seeing...

XSLT leaves the sort algorithm that gets used for alphabetical sorting
up to the implementation, so different implementations will give
different sort orders.

I suspect that you're using Xalan to do your sorting. Xalan uses a
sort algorithm that's slightly different from the codepoint-based one
you expect (it seems to ignore spaces when it's doing the sorting). If
you try doing the sort with Saxon, you might get a result that you
prefer.

The only way to really be sure is to create a custom collation that
will sort the titles in the order you want them to be sorted and then
use that custom collation rather than the one that's built into your
processor.

On the other hand, you seem to be sorting on something other than the
values that you're showing us, since titles that start with "The" are
appearing in the midst of ones that don't, so I can't be certain.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison