RE: [xsl] CDATA - Can I have XML ?

Subject: RE: [xsl] CDATA - Can I have XML ?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:55:49 -0500
Jeffrey,

At 09:55 AM 3/7/2003, you wrote:
What about the situation where an XHTML fragment needs to be
put into an otherwise "vanilla" XML document, where character
entities (&ldquo; etc.) are embedded in the XHTML document
fragment?

Is it poor design to use these character entities?

This is an excellent question.

With my documentary biases, I'd like to see the containing XML have the necessary declarations so you could use your character entities transparently. In the kind of systems I have experience with (mainly publishing systems of various kinds) I believe this could be done fairly straightforwardly in most cases, although it's admittedly something else to manage.

On the other hand, I can imagine there might be scenarios where this wouldn't seem worth the trouble. Much depends on your operational requirements.

I'd also like to hear what others think on this one.

Cheers,
Wendell

___&&__&_&___&_&__&&&__&_&__&__&&____&&_&___&__&_&&_____&__&__&&_____&_&&_ "Thus I make my own use of the telegraph, without consulting the directors, like the sparrows, which I perceive use it extensively for a perch." -- Thoreau