RE: [xsl] Differing behavior of Xalan and Saxon with namespaces. Who's right?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Differing behavior of Xalan and Saxon with namespaces. Who's right?
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:32:37 -0500
[Niko Matsakis]
[I said]
> > Both Xalan and Saxon are correct.  True, the Xalan output
> declares an
> > extra namespace, but the FitnessCenter element does not
> belong to that
> > namespace. So the presence of the declaration has no effect on the
> > interpretation of the document.
>

> Not strictly true.  Depending on how the FitnessCenter element was
> created (literal result element vs xsl:element vs xsl:copy) the XSLT
> processor is obliged to copy over different sets of namespace
> bindings;

I forgot to say that I assumed that Roger had used a literal result
element in the stylesheet (since he told us nothing about the source
document).  I apologise for not saying that clearly.

In either case, though, the two documents are equivalent since the
FitnessCenter element is in no namespace either way.

Cheers,

Tom P