Re: [xsl] data vs. xml

Subject: Re: [xsl] data vs. xml
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:09:43 +0100
> I modified the xml generator to include <![CDATA[ ]]> elements.

<![CDATA[ is a marked section, not an element.

> However,  I also found that some of my data contains RTF characters
> (i.e. \x093
You mean exactly that the 5 ascii characters \ x 0 9 3 rather than character
hex 93 which might be displayed as such a string in an ascii based
editor display?

If so you just need to get your XML generator to write out the
appropriate character, or XML character reference, which would
be &#x93; if the \x093 notation means character with hex unicode value
x93. Note however that you can't use CDATA sections if you want to use
&#x notation, as CDATA stops & being special. In fact that's _all_ CDATA
marked section does it _just_ changes the meaning of < and & from
starting element and reference markup to just being normal characters,
it does not affect any other character.

> also noticed that the XSLT
> processor (instant saxon) still had difficulty accepting a <![CDATA[ ]]>
> node

processors don't understand anything, they either work, or they give the
wrong answer or the fail with an error message. We have no idea which of
these happened from your description. Also <!CDATA marked sections do not
generate any nodes in the Xpath data model. <x><!CDATA[x]]></x> is
exactly the same input as <x>x</x>   <!CDATA[ is _just_ an authoring
convenience to save you writing < and & as &lt; and &amp;, if you are
producing.

> My understanding is that
> the data found within the <![CDATA[ ]]> should be considered just that:
> data.

Character data inside a CDATA section is treated exactly the same as
characters outside the section with the exception of the two characters
< and &.

> However, the XSLT processor still seems to have difficulty with the
> data.  Is this something abnormal to my particular XSLT processor, or is
> this something that is standard across all XSLT processors?

If you described what happened, in particular what your input looked
like, what your stylesheet looked like, and what error message you got,
someone might have a hope of answering this question.

David