Re: [xsl] 10,000 document()'s

Subject: Re: [xsl] 10,000 document()'s
From: S Woodside <sbwoodside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:35:13 -0400
I'm assuming you'd rather use XSLT so "just use perl" isn't so useful an answer.

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 12:05 PM, Peter Binkley wrote:

but I gather from a posting by Michael Kay
(http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200212/msg00507.html) that
all of those document() source trees are remaining in memory throughout the
transformation, adding up to megabytes of data.

Since document() trees are source trees it would seem as though the easy answer is that they must remain in memory. However I wonder what would happen if you only call the document() inside of a variable? Perhaps when the variable passes out of scope the document() source tree will be dumped. Maybe

Can anyone suggest a strategy? The process doesn't have to be fast, it just
has to finish.

Using XSLT? You might try another parser just to see what happens. But given the limitations of the language, it may not be possible. It all depends on whether or not there is a /correct/ way of loading a document() source tree only inside a certain scope, and if there is, asking one of the parser authors to implement that.

Otherwise you could write a simple shell in another language that loops over the file and calls the XSLT with a parameter on the command-line that contains the name of a single file.

If you're on unix though you really should look at
man wc
That will give you the counts you need ... again these could be passed in as parameters on the command line and picked up in the XSLT to simply add them into the output tree without needing to count the words in XSLT.

simon