RE: [xsl] match nodes based on given path

Subject: RE: [xsl] match nodes based on given path
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:38:58 +0100
>   <link path="/root/node/value"/>
>
> This is more tricky than it initally looks.  I'm currently
> using an importing stylesheet that tests every element's path
> against those in the parameter, which is far from efficient
> and requires the paths to be in some kind of normal form.

If you want to manipulate paths held in strings at run-time, then you
need the xx:evaluate() extension.

Your solution of generating a path for each element and checking it
against the given path is not only incredibly inefficient, it's also
plain wrong. For any node, there are an infinite number of possible
paths that select it.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx