Re: [xsl] xml to xml transformation

Subject: Re: [xsl] xml to xml transformation
From: "Steven Curry" <scurry1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 11:18:17 -0700
Thanks for the responses, the solutions work!

Steve

From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:35:28 +0200

Steven Curry wrote:
I need to do a minor transformation of large documents scheduled daily where the result will be the same as the original except one repeating element is transformed. What is the best way to transform just these elements while leaving the rest of the document the same? (I'm an xslt newbie by the way) Is xslt appropriate performance wise?

It depends. A SAX filter is likely more performant but can be much harder to maintain. You'll have to consider the tradeoff between perhaps throwing a bit more expensive hardware at the problem and more software cost.

Also, I haven't been able to get the transformation right. I need to take the value of an attribute and make it the element name as follows:

Transform:
<customFieldValue name="cust_1">Custom Field Value 1</customFieldValue>
<customFieldValue name="cust_2">Custom Field Value 2</customFieldValue>

To:
<cust_1>Custom Field Value 1</cust_1>
<cust_2>Custom Field Value 2</cust_2>

<xsl:template match="customFieldValue"> <xsl:element name="{@name}"> <xsl:apply-templates/> </xsl:element> </xsl:template>