RE: [xsl] Newline problems

Subject: RE: [xsl] Newline problems
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 22:25:50 +0100

> I do know the input structure and other contents, only the
> precise position
> of newlines is not known. Is that a problem?

If you know that newlines can occur anywhere and that they should be
deleted whenever they occur, then certainly you know enough to do the
processing. The point I was making was that you need some kind of
specification of what input you are dealing with.

If this is the only processing you need to do on text nodes, then a good
start is (a) to write a template rule for match="text()" that calls
normalize-space(), and (b) to make sure text nodes are always processed
using apply-templates rather than value-of.

Michael Kay