RE: [xsl] Re: What is the best way to cast integer to string in X SLT2?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: What is the best way to cast integer to string in X SLT2?
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:42:49 +0100
> In other words, to be able to use date / time / duration
> related functions
> a newcomer to XSLT 2.0 will need to learn how to write
> correct (lexical
> forms of) types such as xsd:date, xdt:yearMonthDuration and
> so on. I don't
> see that as an onerous burden. But I can't see how that minor
> acquisition
> of new information can be avoided either, except if the
> stylesheet author
> chooses to continue to use string-related functions to
> manipulate dates (as has been the case in XSLT 1.0).

If you want to add numbers you are going to have to learn how to write
numbers. If you want to add durations you are going to have to learn how
to write durations - something which I have not yet mastered :-)

> >With a Basic XSLT Processor (i.e. one that does not support schema
> >validation), the nodes in a source document will always be untyped.
>
> Is that correct?

I'm using "untyped" as a convenient shorthand for "typed as xs:anyType
in the case of elements or xs:untypedAtomic in the case of attributes."

There is a proposal in the works to distinguish "xs:anyType" from
"xs:untypedComplex" in the same way as we currently distinguish
"xs:anySimpleType" from "xs:untypedAtomic".

Michael Kay