Re: [xsl] XSLT In the Build Process?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT In the Build Process?
From: Steve Ball <Steve.Ball@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 07:30:51 +1000
Mitch Amiano wrote:
Steve Ball wrote:
Going further, when one combines XSLT with a dynamic, interpreted
scripting language (Tcl, Python, Perl, etc) it is possible to not
only use XSLT to generate code but to evaluate that code on-the-fly
as part of the runtime application.  One of my currently projects
is a GUI XML editor that is implemented mostly as XSLT stylesheets,
using Tcl/Tk as "glue" between the stylesheets and the UI.

Mitch wrote:
For instance, while some developers love such a thing, other test engineers ask "How do you test such a thing?" If the answer comes back "with great difficulty", moving forward with an XML strategy suddenly gets a whole lot harder.

If the result of evaluating the generated code is predictable, ie. if the generated code is consistent, then it is absolutely subject to testing. You can always generate the tests too...

I don't think testing is a show-stopper, but circumstances may
vary - I'd have to consider different cases.

Cheers,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas