RE: [xsl] XSLT 2/XPath 2 roadmap

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 2/XPath 2 roadmap
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 18:53:18 +0100
> In my view that is too sweeping an assertion and potentially
> misleading.
> W3C Working Groups vary significantly in what they do or
> don't publish.

Yes, you are right. The main point I was making is that at best they
publish a best guess of the completion date. There is no plan, in the
sense that there is no project manager who has a set of committed
resources that s/he can deploy in order to achieve a given goal. The
process is driven by the need to achieve "consensus", and is therefore
intrinsically unpredictable.

> The SVG WG, for example, publishes a Roadmap (see
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Roadmap.html). In practice,
> due a host of
> factors, a roadmap is often a very approximate timetable.

Interesting - I always thought that the difference between a plan and a
roadmap was that a plan has dates and a roadmap doesn't. My knowledge of
the American language is clearly letting me down again.

Michael Kay