Re: [xsl] identity transform - include CDATA's, etc

Subject: Re: [xsl] identity transform - include CDATA's, etc
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:35:20 -0400
Abie,

As we often have to point out on this list, XSL engines do not work on a file or a sequence of characters, but rather on a data object (an "XPath tree") that represents the XML document tolerably well for many purposes, and extremely well for the purposes for which it was designed.

Accordingly, an XSLT "identity transform" does not and cannot work to create a character-by-character mirror of an input file ... it's the result tree that's identical to the source (tree). For better or worse, the difference between (say) "& lt;" (pls remove fooler-space) and "<![CDATA[<]]>" is not represented in the model, so these cannot be distinguished by the processor or represented differently in the output.

Whether it's a "true" identity transform is a matter for metaphysical debate. :-> But if you need character-for-character fidelity, XSLT isn't the tool for the job.

Cheers,
Wendell