Re: [xsl] Re: Efficiency with id()

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Efficiency with id()
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:55:16 +0100

  Thanks to Jeni, David and Mike for their id() suggestions
  although the document in question does have ID declared in
  the DTD, since it is so long I think I'll use xsl:result-document
  to burst it out into separate documents, and thus negate needing
  to find one small element in a huge document.

Note that in an ideal world, I think the idea is that your "big XML
file" is really some kind of XML view to a database and the index
required to quickly get to an ID'd node is a persistent feature of the
database, so you can go id() and get the stuff quickly without having
to pay the price of building the index (and parsing the file) every time.

Me, I don't use such a system (I'm more of a filesystem, grep and sed
man:-) but I believe that some regulars on this list would sell you one
if you asked them nicely...

David