RE: [xsl] XSLT Architecture: Next Step

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT Architecture: Next Step
From: Rob Rohan <me@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Jul 2003 10:48:07 -0700
On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 10:02, Claudio Russo wrote:
> Do you think it's so powerful per se to put at a side languages like Java,
> VB, C++ or Cobol for Data Management, when most of the current data
> architectures are RDB or VSAM?

I think it has a different place than replace. XSLT is XML just as a
Java Class is java (bytecoded of course). You can use java classes in
C++ but it isn't exactly natural - a term used quite a bit on the list
;-). If I had need to manipulate a Java class I would likely choose the
Java programming language to do so. If I needed to get access to
relational database information, I would probably choose SQL.

> Don't you think it should be better considered as a next step processing
> for presentation purposes?

I think that is a use for XSLT, yes. I do not think it is the only, or
most powerful use of the language though.

If you take XML and transform it into HTML, you are using it for
presentation proposes - yet you are still simply changing the XML data
into something else (html). If you instead have the same XML transform
into SQL statements, then run the statements against a database - there
is no presentation, but I think that is a quite natural place for XSLT.

To me, considering it *only* for "step processing for presentation
purposes" is like saying plain text files can only be used to write
documents.

Cheers,
Rob

--