Re: [xsl] an Xpath question - $tag/$subtag

Subject: Re: [xsl] an Xpath question - $tag/$subtag
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:08:58 -0300
At 2003-07-07 14:10 -0400, Anil wrote:
  here is my problem..i have to use 2 variables to reach a tag in my xml, i
tried using

<xsl:apply-templates select="$tag/$subtag">

You don't say what data type these variables are, but nevertheless the XPath syntax only allows node set variable references in the first step of a location path.

it didnt work, does anyone know another way of doing it? or is it doable at
all?

It is not doable at all using standard W3C XSLT 1.0.

If the data types of these two variables are both strings, there are some vendor extensions that will translate a string into an XPath address and return node sets ... but these are not portable. There are also such functions in the http://www.exslt.org project that may be supported by a wider set of vendors.

I hope this helps.

........................ Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
North America public:  XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc