RE: [xsl] Need xml dir list by dc:title

Subject: RE: [xsl] Need xml dir list by dc:title
From: cknell@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:01:50 -0400
XSLT has no way to read your directory, so you are going to have to "adulterate" your "pure XML/XSL solution" to some degree if the file names and the number of files in the directory could change. If the set of files you want to serve is static, then you can create an XML document containing those file names by hand (Does that count as a "pure XML/XSL solution"?) and refer to it in your XSLT stylesheet with the document() function. You could then do a <xsl:for-each> over the nodes in this document to open each with a second document() function which will create a new node tree for each of the documents. You can then use XPath to extract the value of each <dc:title> element in each of the secondary documents.

If the set of files you want to server is not static, then you will have to find a non-XML/XSLT way to generate the file name list XML document, or create a node list of these file names and pass it to the XSLT transformation as a parameter to be processed by the stylesheet. Of course, that means you need to be able to execute code on your host, which I sense you're telling us that you can't do.
--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email