[xsl] (de)serialize between comments and node-sets

Subject: [xsl] (de)serialize between comments and node-sets
From: ohmson@xxxxxxxxxxxx (ohmson ampere)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:12:14 -0400
Hi there,
  I'm an intermediate user of XSLT. Usually I have no problems coming with a solution. If I have, I would just go visit the FAQ. I have a situation where I can't think of an elegant solution. Maybe I'm missing something.

  I have 2 XSLT scripts; Script A transform an input XML file "forward" and then I do work on the intermediate result. Finally, I feed the result to script B which does post transformation (Don't ask me why, it is imposed on me :-).

  This morning, I just realized that I need to transform an element into a comment in script A and then reverse that in script B. For example,

  <foo>
    <bar>test</bar>
  </foo>

becomes

  <!--
  <foo>
    <bar>test</bar>
  </foo>
  -->

I think I know the tedious way of doing this: In script A, carefully recurse through each element and append to a string and output that string to a comment. In script B, I got to parse the comment string and recreate all the elements and what-not.

Is there an easier way?

thanks, Ohmson