RE: [xsl] Automatically copying an element's attributes and their values

Subject: RE: [xsl] Automatically copying an element's attributes and their values
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 00:12:36 +0100

> <ns0:acronym>
> <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
>
> is a recoverabvle error as there is already a (white) text
> node child of
> <ns0:acronym> added to the result so you can no longer add attributes.

Yes - thanks - that's the explanation.

I'm interested in people's views on "recoverable errors". In the case of
errors like this that are clearly under the control of the stylesheet
author, should we be making them non-recoverable (fatal) errors? Most of
the new run-time error conditions in XSLT 2.0 are non-recoverable, but
the old 1.0 ones haven't changed much. I think the original reasoning
was that with client-side transformations in particular, it's better to
put anything on the screen rather than a syntax error message. Does
anyone think that's a valid argument?

Michael Kay