RE: [xsl] XSL:FO - How to wrap non-word strings in table cells?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSL:FO - How to wrap non-word strings in table cells?
From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:25:55 +0100
Eliot wrote:
> Different FO implementations behave differently, but in
> general, unless
> you provide break points using either zero-width spaces or
> soft hyphens,
> the renderer will not break the text for you because it really isn't
> licensed to do so, except possibly as an overflow fallback.
>
> It would probably be useful for XSL FO implementations to
> provide some
> way to configure their behavior in these sorts of situations, but
> anything like that would be outside the scope of what the FO
> spec defines.

Since it is requested so often, perhaps asking the WG to consider
a solution is appropriate?

The most often requested place is a table cell,
so perhaps something like a hint to the processor,
break-at="20" meaning if needed, presume a soft-hyphen at character position
20 within any word?

Any other suggestions anyone?

regards DaveP

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk