RE: [xsl] XSL:FO - How to wrap non-word strings in table cells?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSL:FO - How to wrap non-word strings in table cells?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:27:21 -0400
At 2003-10-02 08:25 +0100, David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Eliot wrote:
> It would probably be useful for XSL FO implementations to
> provide some
> way to configure their behavior in these sorts of situations, but
> anything like that would be outside the scope of what the FO
> spec defines.

Since it is requested so often, perhaps asking the WG to consider
a solution is appropriate?

I wouldn't subscribe to adding any such features in this area.

The most often requested place is a table cell,
so perhaps something like a hint to the processor,
break-at="20" meaning if needed, presume a soft-hyphen at character position
20 within any word?

Any other suggestions anyone?

Yes, I suggest we should not go there.

Consider my example of wanting to break URLs at arbitrary locations (after each slash in my string). If "the way to do this" is with a break-at= property, then I'll have to *still* use a zero-width space and not be able to take advantage of the property.

It is my opinion that the insertion of the character is the most flexible and the "correct" way to address this need, and indeed I teach the use of this character in my lecture on "breaks and keeps".

In general I would be worried that throwing in a lot of special use properties would bog down an already large specification, and the evidence is that the working group does put a lot of thought into adding any new properties. I would hope that new properties would be general purpose in adding a feature usable in many situations rather than just special casing one particular situation (such as periodic breaking) out of a general case (breaking of lines).

I hope this helps.

--
Next public US delivery:        3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-10-13
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-11-??

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc