RE: [xsl] variable binding

Subject: RE: [xsl] variable binding
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:46:56 -0000

> I'm having trouble with variable binding - basically, I read
> that variable
> bindings declared in templates should be visible to descendants and
> following siblings, but I'm getting not getting the behavior
> I thought I
> would with my stylesheet using Saxon 6.5.2...

You've misunderstood the rules. The scope of variables is static, not
dynamic. It doesn't depend on your source document, and it doesn't
depend on the way in which templates call each other. You're trying to
reference a variable in one template that's declared in a different
template. What you need to do is pass the value as a parameter from one
template to the other, using xsl:with-param and xsl:param.

Michael Kay