RE: [xsl] encoding problem while reading the content in

Subject: RE: [xsl] encoding problem while reading the content in
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:18:36 -0500
[Pramodh Peddi]

> I am not sure if this problem is regarding Tranformation or
> general Java
> basics.
> I am reading an xml file from an sftp location and passing
> that through the
> Transformer (using Java1.4.1's API). The xml file has "windows-1252"
> encoding declared. It has special characters like (r) directly
> put in the
> file. It also has entity characters like &#8482; - which is TM.
>
> When i read the bytes in from sftp location, it is converting
> (r) into "?"
> symbols (but retaining the &#8482 smbols as it, which is good
> and expected).
> The reason I know is, I am printing the String built from the bytes.
>
> ... Big problem is, it works fine on one
> Solaris machine (it
> spits right reg mark chars) but fails on another Solaris
> machine (spits ?
> for reg marks). It also works fine on Windows machine (may be
> bacuse the
> encoding is windows-1252).

You need to find out, on the Solaris machine that does not display the
character you want, what its default encoding is and whether the
characters are being put out correctly or not.  It could be that the
right character is there but not being displayed because the default
encoding of the computer or the viewing application does not match the
actual encoding of the output.

Also, does your stylesheet declare the correct encoding?

Cheers,

Tom P