Re: [xsl] Re: Escaping quotes in XPath expressions

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Escaping quotes in XPath expressions
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:19:01 GMT
> I've read that in XSLT 1.1 the value of a variable *must* be contained in a 'select'
> attribute, or else you'll be creating a result tree fragment,

You mean xslt 1.0 here (there never was (and never will be) an xslt 1.1
just a draft that was never coompleted to a recommendation)

<xsl:variable name="quot">"</xsl:variable>

is legal xslt 1.0 (creating a result tree fragment) and will be legal
XSLT 2 (creating a node sequence). the terminology has changed but
it doesn't affect the code use here.

> <xsl:variable name="apos" select="'"/>

If you want to do it using select then you need teh Xpath expression "'"
and to put that expression into an XML attribute you need either

select="&quot;'&quot;"
or
select="'"&apos;"'

as that is, in general how to get a string containing " or ' into an XML
attribute.

> Is it an inescapable truth that there's no way to escape special characters within an
> Xpath string argument? Have I missed something about the creation of variables in
> XSLT 1.1? Help! :-O

this is in the FAQ for this list.

David

--