RE: RE: [xsl] XPATH

Subject: RE: RE: [xsl] XPATH
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:15:14 -0500
My crystal ball tells me the OP doesn't have an XSLT problem at all.

Rather, he wants to express a constraint (one node's value is dependent on another's). But he hasn't given us the operational context within which this has to happen (a transform?), except to splice in a bit of Schema code.

He's presuming that he can use XPath to refer to the one node from the other, but there doesn't appear to be a transformation here -- inputs and outputs -- only a bit of constraint-checking (on a document we haven't seen).

It *seems* to be a Schema validation, and he *appears* to need an ID/IDREF mechanism or its functional equivalent in XML Schema.

But since he thinks he needs XPath, and since he's posted here -- XSL-List, not a list on XML Schema ... we're all as confused as he is.

Just a guess.

Cheers,
Wendell

07:03 PM 11/17/2003, you wrote:
> Its not my goal to change anything, I just wanna make sure
> that the length
> value in the Sub type has the same value as the
> SUBSTREAM_length element.
> But I dont know and dont need to know this value . I was
> hoping Xpath could
> be used but I'm getting a lot of negative reactions :(

The negative reactions are because you aren't stating your requirements
very clearly.

"I wanna make sure that" has at least two meanings:

* I want to test whether [the two things have the same value]
* I want to change [one thing to have the same value as the other]

Unless you can start writing a clearer specification of your
requirements, we might as well all go home.

Michael Kay