[xsl] Selecting only one element using templates

Subject: [xsl] Selecting only one element using templates
From: JCS <subscriber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:59:41 +1300
Hello,

I'm new to XSL/T and I've been reading the list archives, the tutorials
available in and around the net, etc., but I can't seem to find an answer to
a simple question (which is usually the case with simple "abstract"
questions) so I hope nobody minds if I ask here.

I've got an XML structure as so:

<name></name>
<name></name>
<name>
 <name></name>
  <list>
  <item></item>
  <list>
</name>
<name></name>

Now, I've been able to get at what I want using the examples provided by
this list, so I'm not having difficulty with the more intermediate steps,
however, I'm having difficulty getting my head this:

What if I just want to select the <name> node? If I use
<xsl:apply-templates/> and select "name" I get all name elements, plus the
item element which I don't want. I just want a list of names from the name
elements.

Do I have to specify a template for each element in an XML document? That
seems rather tedious, especially if I have a lot of elements within <name>
elements used as containers.

Any help is appreciated,

TiA,

/johnny :)

--
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there please save me
Superman!"

Homer Simpson