RE: [xsl] fo:list-block problem

Subject: RE: [xsl] fo:list-block problem
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:28:42 -0500
At 2003-12-15 19:41 +0100, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
while, when you check the spec for the possible values for
start-indent and end-indent, negatives _are_ allowed.

Indeed! I was only talking about overlapping areas causing an error, not about the values for the properties. It is important to distinguish properties from traits from areas generated by the objects and their traits.

Probably only useful
then, when the list-item-label itself is also outdented...

I highlight in my XSL-FO course the use of negative values for outdents in table of contents processing: when entries for a table of contents span multiple lines, you need the block's indents to reflect the wrapping points on the line and an outdent on the first line to the start of the TOC entry and an outdent on the last line to the end of the TOC entry. This is depicted on page 150 of the Prentice Hall edition of our book and on page 156 of the fourth edition of the PDF rendition.

These outdents work just fine and reflect only a single line when there is no wrapping of any text. Thus, negative values are very useful.

--
North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-02-09
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc