RE: ISO-8859-1 encoding and XmlDecl omision (was Re: [xsl] Looking up keys in a separate xml file)

Subject: RE: ISO-8859-1 encoding and XmlDecl omision (was Re: [xsl] Looking up keys in a separate xml file)
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:40:38 -0000
> I wrote
>
> > It has to either ignore the omit-xml-declaration, or ignore the
> > requested encoding, and to output using an encoding that doesn't
> > require a text declaration (utf8 or utf16)
>
> Actually although this is my experience of XSLT1
> implementations, the XSLT1 spec is not so explicit on the
> behaviour in this case.
>
> However the XSLT2 drafts (which I've read more recently) are explicit:
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xslt-xquery-serialization-20030502/#N40031
8

>   The omit-xml-declaration parameter should be ignored if the
>   standalone parameter is present, or if the encoding parameter
>   specifies a value other than UTF-8 or UTF-16.

I currently have the situation where the result of my transform is
included as part of a html page using jsp.

I use encoding="ascii" to ensure all of my character refs remain as
character refs through to the output, but for this reason (as Ive just
found out) the omit-xml-declaration="yes" is ignored - which means in
the middle of my output I have the xml declaration.

HTML being as forgiving as it is, this isnt a problem, but I would like
it gone - whats the solution here?

I would have thought that as ascii is a subset of utf-8, the processor
could happily leave the declartion out knowing that any future parsing
of the document would use utf-8 (by default) and could correctly read
the file.

cheers
andrew