[xsl] Re: libxslt version changes RTF or exsl node-set sorting behavior

Subject: [xsl] Re: libxslt version changes RTF or exsl node-set sorting behavior
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:22:02 +0100
>   My experience is that node-set() is a badly broken extension to XSLT-1.0
> XSLT-1.0 made very conciously the difference between input node and
> Result Tree Fragment, but heck most of the vocal implementors were Java
> users who didn't care about garbage collection

Both unfair and incorrect.

Absolutely normal implementations of the node-set() (and exslt:node-set())
extension function in non-garbage-collected languages are the following:

    MSXML3

    MSXML4

    XalanC 1.5

Complaints as the one quoted above typically reflect a software development
lifecycle model in which the design is frozen and doesn't allow flexibility
to accomodate new important user requirements over time.

It seems to me that one distinguishing feature of good XSLT processor
implementations is a flexible design, which anticipates new features to be
added and allows to do this without pain.

Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev,
FXSL developer,