Re: [xsl] date-time formatting question

Subject: Re: [xsl] date-time formatting question
From: "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:03:08 -0500

On Feb 3, 2004, at 3:51 PM, Kenny Akridge wrote:

I would go with exslt if at all possible.

Thanks all! Kenny, why the above? What's the advantage there? And if it's a superior solution, I still need a suggestion on how to actually use it :-)

My question was prompted by a general need for this sort of formatting, but also a specific one to do with bibliographic formatting, where you have citations like (Doe, 1999) and where years and month-day are often separated (as in my example), and month can either be spelled out in full, or abbreviated.

At some point this needs be international-friendly as well so that one can specify a language parameter can get proper output.

I understand some xslt processors have built-in support for exslt dates-and-times, but I don't really understand the pros-and-cons of using this as opposed to the solution Charles posted.

Bruce