[xsl] Combining cross-references with trailing punctuation

Subject: [xsl] Combining cross-references with trailing punctuation
From: Paul DuBois <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:14:41 -0600
I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with punctuation following
cross-references, where:

- The cross-reference style should include surrounding quotes
- The cross-reference may be followed by punctuation, but the
  punctuation should be placed inside the closing quote.

An example might look like this:

For more information, see Chapter 3, "How to Choose a Hat."

In DocBook, <xref> has an xrefstyle attribute that might be
used to select quotes around the cross-reference title, but
(as far as I can see) that doesn't help with the punctuation
problem, because you'd normally write the <xref> as something
like this: <xref linkend="xxx", xrefstyle="yyy"/>.
The punctuation isn't part of the tag or its content, so it's
not evident to me how a transform might deal with this.

I'd be interested to hear how others have approached this problem.