RE: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span

Subject: RE: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:09:10 -0000
>    > On a conformant processor you'll need a node-set() extension
>    > function for that. (Are there some processors that don't flag
>    > this as an error?)
>
>    Saxon 7.8 :)
>
> even if you say version="1.0"? Hmm If that's conforming to
> xslt 2 spec I think there should be a change to the draft
> spec to make it not conformant.

When you submit a version 1.0 stylesheet to an XSLT 2.0 processor it's
allowed to reject it or give you a warning, but if it decides to process
it then it does so using the XSLT 2.0 semantics, with backwards
compatibility enabled.

An XSLT 2.0 processor is *not* required to detect every time you do
something that wouldn't have been allowed under 1.0 and reject it if the
stylesheet says version="1.0". That would be far too burdensome,
especially for facilities like this one where it would require extra
information to be maintained at run-time.

Michael Kay