Re: [xsl] Translating XSD into an XSLT, experts approach needed

Subject: Re: [xsl] Translating XSD into an XSLT, experts approach needed
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:30:33 GMT
  If anyone could spare a few minutes briefly documenting how they would
  approach translating the XSD below (or even general approaches to
  translation), I would be very grateful.

It's hard to answer that as a schema (xsd, relax ng  or more likely dtd
format) is just about the last piece of information I would use when
writing a stylesheet to transform a set of XML documents to XHTML. At
most I may use it to generate a list of element names to check that
every element had at least one template defined.

It depends a bit on what kind of presentation you are hoping to produce
(your message gave no clues there). Do you want essentially a pretty
printed display of the XML tree structure, annotated by the typing info
from the schema (If this is what you want then, then obviously the
schema would be a good place to start) or do you want to produce a
normal human-oriented html document that presents the information
to a human reader. In this case the schema is virtually useless, many
elements that have a completely different semantic (and hence require
completely different presentations) will have the same content model
(eg PCDATA/xsd:string).

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew