Re: [xsl] positional grouping xslt2

Subject: Re: [xsl] positional grouping xslt2
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:37:35 GMT
Mike said,

  Grouping the adjacent bullets can use

  <xsl:for-each-group select="node()" group-adjacent="boolean(self::bullet)">

(And I'd done more or less same in my version posted yesterday).

This is actually first time I'd experimented with group-adjacent=
I must say I'm fairly impressed with this. Many of the other grouping
forms can be done with xslt1 using muenchian grouping variants which
start to look normal after a few thousand posts to xsl-list but are
fairly arcane. Having a for-each-group syntax makes them more
convenient and a lot easier to learn, although not that much more
powerful if you have already paid the price of learning the xslt1 tricks
required.

However the "adjacent groups" is a pain to do in xslt 1, and I've needed
it several times, in production stylesheets here at work as well as in
answers posted here. Having this just sort itself automatically just by
throwing in one different attribute on the grouping element is a big
win.

David
[normal service, ranting against xpath2, will be resumed later:-]

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew