[xsl] xslt 2.0, use case wanted.

Subject: [xsl] xslt 2.0, use case wanted.
From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:33:11 +0100
XSLT 2.0 is offering a feature to say,
start this template using mode X, or named template Y,
or some named node in the source document (initial context).
See
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-initial-template
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-initial-context-node

The 'start point' is set by a command line option, hence is
out of scope of the rec.

I'm concerned about processing a source document, from, say,
/part/book/chapter/sect1[3]/sect2[4]

I asked the Working group if I could have some means,
within the stylesheet, of finding out what the 'starting node'
in the source document was set to.

I feel it will on occasion, be necessary to know this.
The use case I arrived at, which failed to convince Mike,
was that if I'm only processing 1 sect2 element, then I should
number things from that node, not from the source document root node
as would normally be the case.

Can you think of a better use case for knowing where your stylesheet
started processing?

The comparison I might make is the availability of the name of the
source file. Lots of people want it, and its only available as a
parameter to the stylesheet.
  This case is similar. Is it acceptable to have the 'start point'
available as a command line parameter?

Regards DaveP.

**** snip here *****

-