RE: [xsl] Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the encoded character?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the encoded character?
From: "Steven Reddie" <smr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:23:52 +1000
Hi Michael,

I've been playing around a little more and found that the processor ignores
the encoding attribute of the xsl output method under certain circumstances.
I've fixed that up, but also discovered the following in the documentation:

	If the Unicode characters do not fit the specified encoding,
	the XmlTextWriter does not escape the Unicode characters into
character entities.

I thought that including <xsl:output method="html" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>
would tell the processor that &#160 can't be encoded as a single character
and would therefore have to be output as an escaped character code.  With my
current combination of xsl and .NET code invoking the processor, I'm getting
'?' in place of each &#160 whereas is I specify encoding of utf-8 or utf-16
then &#160 is encoded correctly in UTF-8 or UTF-16.

I'll keep digging, but it seems to me that there exists a serious limiation
in their processor.

Steven