RE: [xsl] Name of current XML doc...

Subject: RE: [xsl] Name of current XML doc...
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 12:08:42 +0100
> Along these lines, if anybody can code a templates object that can
> include/import a regular stylesheet that would be really good (or
> vice-versa - a regular stylesheet that can import a templates object,
> possibly through a resolver) - I have some large stylesheets
> (4000 lines
> +) that import a tiny generated-at-runtime stylesheet (50+
> lines) which
> means for every transform I incur the cost of parsing the larger
> stylesheets.  I've asked before and I think Mike has said that the way
> the processor constructs the stylesheet internally means its not
> possible - is this still the case?

It would of course be possible to do some of the work of compiling
stylesheet modules one module at a time, but there would then have to be a
linking phase where they are combined together, and quite a bit of work
(notably building the decision tree to match template rules) could not be
done until the linking phase. So it's not clear how great the benefit would
be.

Michael Kay