RE: [xsl] Is this a Saxon 8.0 bug ?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Is this a Saxon 8.0 bug ?
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:00:24 +0100

> The reason I wrote this solution was to ask the obvious question about
> memoisation. This solution is top-down and will be extremely
> inefficient because the maximum depth of subtrees will be
> re-calculated many times.

Saxon does have an option to memoise the results of xsl:function, but it's
never done by default. This is one of those situations where there's very
little information available to decide the right trade-off between memory
and compute time. Also, memoising is incorrect if the function returns a
newly constructed node (because identity is significant) and I need to do
more static analysis to spot such situations.

Michael Kay